Here's a shrimp recipe that you'll definitely make again and again! It's just so good and perfect with white steamed rice. The sauce is creamy, spicy, salty and somewhat sweet. I added a bit of sugar to balance the taste because this recipe has salted egg in it. What? Yes, salted egg it is and you will only be using the yolks. And why is this good? Because I boiled the shrimp in lemon-lime soda. It adds more flavor to the shrimp! So, why boil in water right? Don't worry, I drained soda anyway.
Why do we have the boil the shrimp first? It is always best to cook it first before mixing with the sauce. I usually boil them for about 2 minutes or until it is no longer pink. You can tell when the shell turns orange in color. That's the time I stop cooking as I do not want to overcook them. When shrimps are precooked, it is not as fishy and it is easier when I mix them with the sauce. I just make sure that the shrimps are well coated with the sauce and just cook for an additional one minute. That's it! You don't want an overcook shrimp or else it will be hard ad rubbery. Yes you want them moist and tender.
I've seen recipes for Salted Egg Shrimp but many of them just cook it with garlic and butter. Some adds evaporated milk but, I thought coconut milk is way better than those. It will add more creaminess and imagine salted egg in coconut milk. Hmmm... the best! And if you love spicy foods, add chili peppers. So delicious!
If you are a spicy shrimp lover, try my Cajun Shrimp as well. I know for sure you'll enjoy it !
Give this a try and let me know what you think by leaving a comment below. Enjoy!
SALTED EGG SHRIMP RECIPE
- For the lemon-lime soda, you can use 7-up, sprite or 7up. If it is not available, you can just boil it in water.
- When boiling the shrimp, remember to stop the cooking process when the color turns orange. Remove from heat and drain. Do not overcook or the shrimp will be hard and rubbery.
- Taste test the salted egg yolks. If they are too salty, you may want to adjust the sugar in the recipe. The sugar balances the taste with the egg yolks.
- Chili pepper is optional, you can omit or add more depending on your preference. You can also use hot sauce if chili pepper is not available. You can also use red pepper flakes.
- This recipe serves 2-3 people. You can double or triple the recipe if desired.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
This website contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, as an Amazon Associate, I will earn a small amount from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies