Kutsinta is one of the Philippines' favorite snacks. It is made from a mixture of all-purpose flour, tapioca starch, brown sugar, and lye water, enhanced with annatto extract. It is steamed in small ramekins or individual molds then topped with freshly grated coconut meat.
Many have been asking where I got my individual tin molds. I purchased them in the Philippines awhile back. But I found where you can get it if you are not in our mother land. Please find the Amazon link provided below. And if you are in the Philippines but far away from Divisoria or a baking store, Lazada has an online store. I hope this helps :)
This recipe is soft and chewy which is what you want in Kutsinta. It is the lye water that makes it chewy and cassava or tapioca starch that makes it soft. I have tried making Kutsinta just using all-purpose flour and the finished product was disappointing because it was too firm.
Now, that you have the information about Lye Water. Kutsinta preparation is very easy. Just combine warm water and brown sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Then add pandan flavor, lye water, all purpose flour, corn starch and annatto extract. Transfer in molds and steam for about 20 minutes over medium fire.
Try this recipe and let me know how it goes. Enjoy!
How to prepare:
Notes & Tips:
- Add just enough water in the steamer (about 1 inch height inch from the rim).
- Make sure the water in the steamer is boiling when adding the individual molds with mixture into the steamer.
- Steam on medium heat.
- Do not over steam. A very small amount of liquid on top is fine. You can discard that extra small amount of water. Over steaming makes the Kutsinta hard and firm at the bottom.
- Unmold with a knife with a round tip that is brushed with butter to avoid sticking.
- Do not add grated coconut on top if you will not consume them right away.
- Grated coconut must be stored in the fridge.
- Left over Kutsinta can be stored at room temperature for up 2 days or you can refrigerate and warm them up.
- Recipe yields 13 pieces.
Recipes you may like:
This website contains affiliate links. If you make a purchase through these links, as an Amazon Associate, I will earn a small amount from qualifying purchases at no cost to you.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies